Friday, June 11, 2010

Inspiration


 
With a 40% coupon in my hands, I knew there was something out there I could find at the bookstore that would inspire me.

It didn't take long to find it. Sure enough, this qualified:





I think I have sat like that, gazing off to the side, with a slight pursing of the lips and my hand under my chin. Probably thinking about something silly.... Or wondering what the weather is like in Raleigh in January....  And I love that blue houdstooth dress....

Now to study the pictures of each project. To visualize whether I would like the look of each piece on me or not. If I had yarn - enough yarn- that would work.... and the needle sizes, well, I have plenty of them so I think I'll be ok there. New techniques to make things - that sounds good! Then I finally decided on one. It is with bulky yarn with size 15 needles so it will knit up quick.  And I picked through my stash of yarn and chose the gorgeous royal blue cashmere blend. Bulky weight. Perfect!





Started this project on May 26,2010. The yarn moved smoothly over the plastic circular needles. This piece was made from the collar down to the waistband. The sleeves (more like sleevelettes) were done at the same time and didn't require any assembling or sewing afterwards. (Big time saver at the end!) The pattern was pretty easy to maneuver through. I never got to the place where I memorized it but the chart in the book was very readable. 

On June 7th, I was blocking it out.




This was the first time I ever blocked anything. After reading about how important it was to block, and watching a few helpful you tube videos, it seemed like the smart thing to do. It really does make a noticeable difference. Those stitches set up in their proper places and your piece looks less bumpy. It was no longer lopsided or stretched on one side and tight the other.  Now it is a handcrafted work of wearable art.  I decided to stitch the front panels together to make it a short sleeve pullover instead of being an open sweater. The draping of the yarn did not handle that design very well, so it needed that adjusting. But now it is perfect and will be worn alot this season.  Finished this project on June 10, 2010.

See what inspiration can do?

No comments: