Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Going slow in the fast lane


Something happens to people when they drive. They think they are in their own little world and no one can see them, or something like that. In my town, there is a main road that has 4 lanes, as well as a center turning lane. That's 5 lanes to pick from. Every day, when I drive to work in the morning, there is someone in the "fast lane" who is toddling along and everyone who is trying to drive along at a normal speed has to pass them on the right. I have passed many pokey-drivers who were in the fast lane. Thinking about how I should blog about it. Shaking my head as I moved right and sped up and notice them distracted by their cell phone call. Trying to figure out why in the world they don't realize that they are being passed by everyone behind them and don't just move over. Strangely enough, I found people passing me on the right today. I was appalled and made a point to gun it a little more to be qualified to remain in my lane of choice.

In Germany, if you are driving on the Autobahn, there are two hard fast road rules. 1) There is no speed limit, although the recommended speed is 130 km/h (81 mph) and 2) Drive in the right lane, pass in the left lane. Police will ticket both drivers if someone is lally-gagging in the "fast" lane and someone is trying to pass them on the right.

I don't really have a deep insight to weave onto this post. I suppose you could get deep, analyze your life and determine if you are a slow driver in a fast lane life scenario. Sometimes we all feel that way, I suppose. This post is mainly a verbalization of that which I experience every day while I drive to work. So if you find yourself in the "fast" lane with many people passing you on the right, maybe it is time to take notice and change lanes.

No comments: