Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pillow Love

I love looking outside on a beautiful day. Whether it's snowing, foggy, or bright and sunny, the view is just beautiful. A few years ago, I saw an amazing project that was made with a pattern called "Cathedral Windows" and couldn't take my eyes off of it. The shapes and colors were just stunning. After some time, I forgot about the beauty of the pattern until it was discovered again recently.

My interests in sewing / quilting have grown quite a lot this past year. I have been in a quilting club for a while and enjoy the fellowship and the challenges but it was after my husband's stroke that I really began to find expression in quilting. The time at the machine brings me to, well, almost to a world where I can say all the things I want to say and no one can tell me that it isn't ok. I choose the material's shapes and colors and conform them into a setting that I choose and turn something meaningless into something useful and, hopefully, beautiful.

I was recently on vacation. And it couldn't come at a better time. My days were not full of vacation plans other than to hug my honey a lot, pet my puppies more, feed the birds, watch some colorful sunsets, and fit some good, long stints of sewing time in. This was a plan that worked out very well! I did all the things I set out to do and came out of the 9 days better from it. I did find a pretty quilt that got me thinking maybe I could try to do a teeny part of it and make a pillow. It was paper pieced, which my Mom had taught me how to do so why not?

Off to the fabric store I go. I had some of the material but needed more variety. My stash is woefully hacked up from taking a little bit for this and a little bit for that. But my end result was a pillow with FMQ stitch-in-the-ditch that I am really happy to have on my sofa....



Like most of you, I go from one favorite blog or website to another through links placed therein. As I stumbled across a link of a tutorial for a window pattern, I was delighted to see that it was a version of the incredible Cathedral Window pattern that I had been introduced to a few years ago! And I am a sucker for a pillow sized piece; it's something that gets done rather quickly. I think it will look fabulous next to my sunshine pillow! It's like the stars in the sky. It's not quite done yet. Here's the latest peek....


Isn't it amazing?!?!? I LOVE IT!!! I can't WAIT to finish it!  Then, I think I will be ready to tackle more of Leah Day's Free Motion Quilt Along project that I am doing. My honey has already claimed rights to this quilt so I gotta get it done!


1 comment:

Ivory Spring said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for stopping by my blog.