Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grand Illusion - Part 2

Onward with the Grand Illusion mystery! Part 2 was a pleasure. I love making diamonds! I tackled this clue over 2 nights. One for all the prepping and one for all the sewing.

Day 1: First, I choose the instructions in Bonnie's clue where you sew squares on the edges. I got them all cut with the aid of June Tailor's Shape Cut (see my post on Clue 1 to see it). I got the bright idea to fold them in 1/2 to make the diagonal line where you sew. Sometimes I gotta try different things to discover what way works for me! Well, it wasn't going to work at all. The fold line didn't show up well in the sewing step, so I went ahead and marked them as instructed. Gotta trust Bonnie's expertise!

All the black corner squares were pinned in place with the diagonal line in the correct direction.

In case you were wondering... This is my marking tool of choice. Fons & Porter mechanical fabric pencil. It's very natural to use and offers white and dark "lead" that loads easiest if you slide it in the hole on the point of the pencil when the eraser is pressed in. I love it!

Day 2: After the black corners were sewed down, they were scissor-trimmed and pressed. The pink squares were set up ready to be set on the other corner. 

I enjoy having a movie or show on in the background when I work. Today's choice was A Knight's Tale. RIP Heath Ledger. We love your work on the big screen. How can you not love that face? Gone too soon.......

After a few hours of sewing, I was happy with my completion of 50 Double Diamond blocks! Woo hoo! Most of the centers lined up. Precision pinning before sewing this seam would help with consistent accuracy.

It's quite the stack!

 Into the mystery box they go. Looking forward to clue 3!

Are you in on the mystery? Find everything you need to get started at Quiltville's blog in the Grand Illusion tab! Link up here to share your progress!

If your quilting skills are not quite up to par for this level, or if you want to make a project that is less extensive, check out my mystery projects! There is a complete one available (Ringing in the New Year) and a new one that I will be releasing clues for in January 2015 called Dazzle Burst! 

Thanks for checking out my posts. I love to hear from guests so give me a comment and say Hi! You can also visit my Facebook page Pamelyn's Postings or my Etsy shop, ThistleFire to keep connected!

3 comments:

Andee said...

Your mystery is looking great!

Feathers in my Nest said...

Pretty units! ..... I agree about Heath....such a tragedy....I loved him in The Patriot with Mel Gibson.
Debra in Ma.

Unknown said...

You are way ahead of me! I'm off to a slow start this year. Too many other things going on this year.