Tuesday, February 12, 2008

are you starving?

I tried to find a picture in a google search to put here, but there was none that came close to display the image I had in mind. After looking in horror at emaciated people and animals, I had to stop my search. The effects of starvation are not pleasant to look at.

Perhaps the simplest picture I could have used would be an empty glass. Or maybe a dark and dreary cave, or an abandoned house. Or how about a dusty Bible? All these things represent starvation in one form or another.

Isn't it just like our mode of self-preservation to automatically identify starving as meaning a lack of food for your stomach? What about feeling a need for more light and warmth during these cold, winter days. We're starving for the benefits of the sunshine. What about that someone who is lonely and needs friends. Aren't they starving for attention? Does the lack of interest in spending time with your Creator fall into the "starving" category? I have to say that it does.

We all know when we are starving for food, sunshine, or friendship. Why is it so easy to deny our hunger for the living God? Only He is the One who can fill our spirit through His word. Perhaps it is a good thing that we cannot google a search to see a snapshot of our spirit's stature . . . or then again, maybe it isn't.

Let's be encouraged by David's words and purpose to start each day anew, and to keep our spirits from starving.
1 God—you’re my God! I can’t get enough of you!I’ve worked up such hunger and thirst for God,traveling across dry and weary deserts.
2 So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,drinking in your strength and glory.
3 In your generous love I am really living at last!My lips brim praises like fountains.
4 I bless you every time I take a breath; My arms wave like banners of praise to you.
5 I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy;I smack my lips. It’s time to shout praises!
6 If I’m sleepless at midnight,I spend the hours in grateful reflection.
7 Because you’ve always stood up for me, I’m free to run and play.
8 I hold on to you for dear life,and you hold me steady as a post.

Psalm 63:1-8 (the Message)

No comments: