I guess a good place to start would be to define it. I know we all think of the heart as that muscle in a body that makes our blood flow. Dictionary.com describes it in these ways:
- As an organ: "a hollow, pumplike organ of blood circulation..." Of course, this is only one of several descriptions.
- We also see the word as a description of our personality: "the center of the total personality, esp. with reference to intuition, feeling, or emotion".
- There is a place where we act on our surrounding circumstances: "a capacity for sympathy".
- Or how about a zeal or passion: "spirit, courage, or enthusiasm".
- The last definition I will present is: "the vital or essential part; core".