Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Entrelac


This is something I have seen in magazines and as completed projects for sale in yarn stores, but have not had the time, or the gumption, to try it. As a matter of fact, about a month ago, I told my sister that I wanted to learn how to do this knitting. Entrelac is a french word for interlacing, and is also known as the basketweave technique. I found a very helpful web site that explained how to do it so I figured I'd give it a try.

After procrastinating a lot of time by looking over my yarn, messing around with what colors would match, finding the best needles to use, and just being generally unsure of what I was up against, I now have a feeling of success seeing my sample so far. I am really happy with the way it is progressing! I suppose it would make a nice scarf . . . but then again, every knitting project can be turned into a nice scarf. Or maybe it can be sewn into a cute little purse with snappy plastic handles from the craft store. Or how about a few of them for the kitchen as pot holders... Hmmm. If it's long enough, it can be the waistband for a sweater and smaller ones can be used as the cuffs and collar. Oh, the possibilities!

Whatever it turns into, Entrelac looks so great, and there are no seams to sew when you're done knitting. And it's a great way to get rid of all those skimpy blobs of left-over yarn that are laying around, but you just can't seem to throw out because it's enough yarn to make SOMETHING out of. Gotta love all that - I know I do.

No comments: