Wednesday, October 22, 2008

50's Pink

I don't know exactly why, but the era from 1955 to 1964 seems to be the perfect time in history. Maybe because people had more dignity and respect. Could be the last ten years that the nation was actually God-fearing as a whole. Or the incredible cars that were made. Innocence and doing right was good. Pink and turquoise were the "in-colors". You have to admit, they just don't make stuff like that anymore.

My love of the 50's mostly stays in the kitchen. Take a look at these babies:



I found them at an antique store in Vermont. They weren't too expensive because they had a little bit of rust on the base of one of the canisters, so I snatched 'em up. Once they were in my house, I cleaned them (don't have a cow, they aren't valuable) and started using them in my cupboard to hold stuff like boxes of Jello and tea bags and egg noodles. Well, that's not what they house now. I actually have flour (GF of course) in the flour tin, white sugar in the sugar tin, brown sugar in the coffee tin and baking soda in the tea tin. OK, I know, it's not exactly right, but it's the way I like it!

Now, check out this stuff:



These came along after I started picking up various 50's kitchen items. It all started with the Kitchenaid 325 watt stand mixer. My wonderful boss found it and got it for me for my birthday one year. I almost passed out when I saw it! What a gift! It has proudly stayed on my counter ever since. When I saw the blender for sale at Kohls, it was a must-get. Every Kitchenaid appliance needs a friend! The yellow timer and the turquoise toothpick holder came out of storage and made their homes next to the big boys.

The latest find at Target:



Can you believe they were selling pink pots and pans? I couldn't, until I bought them! Now that the inside of my cabinets looks like a 50's cadillac with all that pink and chrome in there, I just can't help but smile when I cook. It doesn't take much to make me happy!

There is more nostalgia to share with you, but it will be another post. I have to remove my ham steak from my pink pan and drain my peas from my chrome pot. Ta ta for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pink!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Tell me all that pink is in your house for real!!!!! LOVE-LOVE-LOVE it!
Tif