Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lawn and Garden battles......

Well, I officially pulled out the ol' riding lawn mower and mowed the lawn this week...
after I picked up about 927 sticks out of the yard....
it actually took me about 45 minutes to clean up the sticks, branches and limbs (yes, limbs) from our little plot of earth...
the whole time I was doing this, I was thinking of how we used to pick rocks from the fields before we could do plantings, and how much of a lousy job that was, and somehow this was just as bad.....
only sticks are lighter than rocks.....
after squatting, standing up, and tossing the sticks to the edge of the yard about 100 times, I eventually resorted to staying squatted and hiking them through my legs, like a football player throwing the football to the quarterback or the kicker...
some of the sticks fell to the earth with enough speed to impale into the ground 4 inches...
Sparkie was with me the entire time, but was absolutely no help to me...
at one point, I felt like those army guys who were sent to Roswell to clean up the debris from the crashed flying saucer on Mack Brazzell's ranch....
there were bumble bees all over the place....
I hope I don't have a nest of them somewhere close by...
I really hate bees....
last year, there was a bumble bee nest in the ground in our backyard...
the only thing that kept me going was the notion that when I was done picking up the sticks, I could ride the mower....
kind of like a reward at the end of a horrible time of torture...
and that's what I did when I was done....
I got to mow over some bumble bees...
did I mention that I really hate bees?....
regardless of all my work, there were still lots of sticks on the ground that I mowed over.....
I will have to pick them up next time.

No comments: