Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First try

I have never baked a ham before. After having a really tasty one at my in laws house for Christmas dinner, I thought I would give it a shot. The Good Eats version was my first choice, of course, and it came through with flying colors. Basically, you bake it for a couple hours until the internal temp is around 130 degrees. Then coat the outside with mustard, brown sugar, a spritz of a tasty liquid, and GF ginger snap crumbs. Then bake it for another hour until the internal temp reaches 160. The drippings that coat the pan carmelize the crumbs into sweet and spicy crunchy goodness. Who wants to clean the pan? I do, I do!!!

Dished up with a hearty serving of peas and carrots and a half of a roasted sweet potato, topped with the crunchy goodness, is a fabulous dinner fit for anyone who sits at your table.

I kept the ham bone and have been encouraged to try to make split pea soup. I have no idea how to do that, but in the spirit of trying new things, I am going to attempt that next. Check back again for that adventure.

No comments: