Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ham bone soup

Here it goes - I'm attempting to make the soup today. I hope it is yummy. I've never been a pea soup fan.........
Get out the crock pot and try it

Split Pea Soup
Ingredients:
one ham bone with remaining meat
1 cup minced onions
2 tsp. black pepper
1 pound dried split peas, green or yellow
1 cup chopped carrot

Place the ham bone and other ingredients to a crock pot. Just cover with water, and cook on low all day long or high for 4-6 hours. I cook my peas til they are fairly mushy, but you can cook less if you like them less done. We always ate big bowls of this soup with bread and butter. Very simple! If the meat isn't falling off the ham bone, remove and use a fork to remove it and place the meat into the soup. Discard the bone.

I'll let you know how it is and if I am a convert or not!

No comments: