Monday, December 30, 2013

Celtic Solstice Mystery Project - Clue 5

Hi everyone! I'm linked up with Bonnie Hunter's blog for the Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt. Thank you so much for stopping by and seeing my progress on clue 5! If you like what you see, check out other posts in my blog and if you really like it, follow it!

I was excited to have the day off when this clue came out. And having 100 blocks done from clue 3 was such a big "wind in the sails" for getting these blocks done. Thank you Bonnie for that wonderful time saver! Cutting the rest of the pieces went pretty quickly. I got around 30 usable triangles from the white strips and 19 from the blue. 

For some reason, I had a bit of a mental block when it came to sewing the prices together. After sewing the first triangle onto the square, I set it next to the other pieces so I had a visual reference to double check that I was doing it correctly. This is what my first sewing line needed to look like.

With the sample nearby, the other pieces were laid out so I could pick them up exactly how they needed to be put together. The top white triangle in the stack went on the right side of the square, along the yellow edge. That yellow edge was the one to get sewn. 

The second white triangle in the stack was set aside for the other half of the piecing. Each time I did a square, the first triangle was used and the second one was put in its own pile for the other side.

It helped me to put the second triangle in the correct place by holding it this way. The white triangle was flipped over so its right side was down on the yellow edge. That was the edge to sew.

I finished 10 pieces at a time and then pressed after each side was sewn on. Doing this helped me keep count. I found it easier to sew the second triangle on in this manner. It helped keep the pieces feeding in straight. 

Once those white triangles were both attached, the big blue triangle gets sewn on. Hold your breath - the pieced triangle and the big blue triangle should be, or should be close to, the same size! Get a smile on your face because it's all downhill from here! 

I sewed with the pieced side on top so I could see where the point was while sewing. I tried to stay to the right of that tip. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. But the tips that were cut off weren't cut off very much so I can live with it. 

The final pressing gave the reveal of the fabulous, colorful split triangles! 100 are done and ready for their place in the quilt!

I was playing around with a border idea that I have decided that I will use on this project. Since this clue is done, I can make more of them this week. Let me know what you think of the idea. I could be asking for trouble! Haha!

Thanks for checking in. I'd love to hear your thoughts or if anything in my post has helped or encouraged you in your CS quilt. Have a terrific week! See you in 2014!


Vireya said...

They look great!

Anita said...


TLC said...

Love all your tabs. Since I posted a collage across the top of my blog, the tabs seemed to disappear.

Cherry said...

What an detailed border idea you have! This is my first BH mystery so I didn't even think of a border. I may need to hit the design board.

Andee said...

Looking good! Bonnie usually gives us the border along the way, always fun to see what she comes up with. Before her quilts I only did normal borders, hers always come out just right for me. She makes it easy somehow!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wonderful progress and fantastic color choice.

marinebull said...

I enjoyed reading your Blog and like how you showed step by step for Part 5. Looks wonderful!

Pamelyn B said...

I'd love to see what you come up with!

Claudia said...

I like the border you designed. I did not sew all of those extra little triangles.