Thursday, October 30, 2014

Borders Unlimited

When finishing Leah Day's Building Blocks Quilt Along quilt, I realized I didn't have enough solid color fabric for the outer border. There was enough of a different shade of red but I thought I'd look through my stash to see if something else might work. 

This fabric had the right tones and values and the stripes just looked like it would make really interesting binding! Isn't it gorgeous?

I fussy cut the portions I liked for the binding out into 2" strips. 

Then it was spray starched and pressed in half. It was easy to line up, along the squiggle. 

I sewed it onto the back and wrapped it around so I had the squiggle in the front. 

Thanks to the fabric pattern, the front and the back have different patterns! It looks like it was so difficult to do, doesn't it? 

BBQA quilt is done and ready for action!


When you make your own binding, the choices are unlimited! Your stash has instantly become more useful! Would you try this technique? Blog post your photos and share your link with us!

No comments: