Friday, October 24, 2014

Crown Making and Spray Starch

The Love Entwined quilt is quite fascinating to me. I think about it often throughout the day, which helps me tackle the next part when I work on it. I never thought of myself as an appliqué quilter. I know how to do it but usually don't choose this work....until I saw Esther Aliu's pattern. Love!

My center compass medallion is pinned onto the background fabric. I offset it slightly for interest. 

It needs to be surrounded by wedge shapes, which will resemble a crown. I'm pulling out all the tools for this job!

I'd like to take a detour about spray starch. I didn't have any in the house. I thought it saw a way to make it so I did a search and sure enough, there's a simple recipe for it. 1 TBSP cornstarch to 1 cup water. Add a sprig of lavendar or rosemary if desired. (I added a sprig of dried rosemary.) Put in spray bottle. Swirl to mix before spraying. 

It worked way better than I expected! Check out the crisp lines!

Using my wooden pointer to keep my fingertips burn free, the wedges took shape rather quickly. 

Here they all are, ready for placement and sewing down around the compass. 

Ta da!
I'll get to sewing them down tomorrow. 

Are you an appliqué quilter? 

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Stunning crown Pamelyn!!!!!!your crowns make your compass really pop. Looking forward to seeing your photos come up as your journey grows. Cheers Glenda

Margaret said...

Pam, I am so happy that you are now part of the applique community. I think your center is amazing. You have a wonderful start to your LE!
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Thanks for the recipe! I'm beginning applique.