Monday, December 28, 2015

Allietare Mystery - Clue 5

Onward with the mystery! I'm linked up for this week's clue. I hope you're a part of the fun!

First things first! Let's measure up for the proper 1/4" seam allowance!


Then, I finished up these from last week's clue. 

Wow, I really should recover that ironing board of mine!

After sewing the triangle sets together, it was pretty obvious that this point was going to be resistant to folding and pressing.

Here's how I got it to fold nicely!

After pressing the squares, with steam, I finger-pressed the squares open in the direction they needed to go. On some of the more stiff squares, I'd pick it up and press it between my thumb and fingers.
I found doing three in a row worked best. There was enough heat lasting in the fabric after finger-pressing that many squares.

Then, I set the finger-pressed seams with the steam iron and then set my hand on the warm seams until they cooled down. 
Doing that really sets the fabric into the crease it needs to be in.

After they were all pressed, I gave them their lower half and set them aside in a pile for sewing.
You get very good seam connections when they're sewn and pressed well!

I sewed 'em all together! Finally!

Got into the groove of pressing in tandem to make it go quicker. 98 squares was a lot of work!
But they are done!

All the clues are boxed up and ready for action!

I hope you've enjoyed my tips this week. Thanks for looking at my post! If you have a love for vintage sewing machines, check out my Featherweight Skill Series tab! Catch up with you next time....
 

3 comments:

TheEclecticAbuela said...

A boxful of goodies! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

The quilt will look beautiful
because of your fabrics.
Happy New Year!
Kerry

Lisa said...

They look so neat and pretty.