Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom

There are so many things I can say about my mom. She is an amazing example of a fantastic woman, wife, mother, friend. I feel so blessed to be able to say that she is a part of my life. I could go on about what all of her attributes are, but I know I won't think of everything. All I can say to my Mom is "thank you" for so many things and "I love you so much".

I'm not the only one who has a great mom. But not everyone can say this. Mother's day is an emotional day. It is a celebration of a woman who gave you life. An appreciation of all she does for you. A day devoted to give back expressions of love. What do you do when that is over? A day like today becomes a reminder that mom is not just a phone call away.

What about those among us who have a troubled family? I know people who want nothing to do with celebrating mom because of abuse and hurt and anger. A day like today is a reminder of feeling left out of an enjoyment that so many can experience.

And then there are us "DINK"s. I am not a mom, in the literal sense of the definition. I have not given birth to any children. I do have a home and a family of my own. I don't have little ones making my breakfast or giving me gifts or presenting coupons to do the dishes for me.

I choose to not dwell in the things I am missing out on by comparing myself to others. I do give thanks for today; thanks for the goodness I have been granted. I can be glad to be who I am because of where I came from. And best of all, I can share who I am with everyone around me. Happy mother's day to every woman in whatever scenario you are in today. You are celebrated!

No comments: