Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mini Quilts = Mega Fun!

If the idea of making a bed sized blanket makes you shudder inside, then mini quilting is something to try out. You still make up blocks following a pattern, putting them together in strips, sandwiching the top to batting and a back, adding the free motion quilting, and sewing on the binding. These little masterpieces require all the steps of their big brother quilts but can be done in days instead of months and require very little fabric.

Aren't these bear paw blocks cuh-yute?!!! They'll be a petite 2" x 2" when trimmed.

Here we with the four completed blocks put into strips. The yellow borders really brighten things up!
 
 Here it is with all the sashing in place.
 
I ran out of the solid red so I added the red and white squares in the four corners and the center. The yellow strips are two shades as well. You can't really tell from this photo but some of the outer lines are a paler shade. I think it looks good!
 
My piecing could have been better but I'm not concerned about it. This was an experiment using the Easy Angle Ruler, changing the diagonal-cutting method over to the EA Ruler method. I think my figures and seam allowance were a little off! I guess this one won't make it to the fair this year!
 
Now that the top is done, I can make my "quilt sandwich" and do some FMQ-ing! FUN!!! Then sew on the binding and this baby is ready for action. I think it will go on top of our mini fridge; that just seems so appropriate!
 
Have you ever made a mini quilt? Would you try it? Share your pics on my Facebook page. We'd love to see your work!

No comments: