Saturday, October 20, 2012

Double Delight Mystery Quilt - Step 3

The 9 patch! Remember how I said in my strips and squares post that I didn't know how many I needed to make? Well, I found out. The double delight mystery calls for 130 patches. Yes, you read that right. Uh-hundred and thirty.

The instructions said to cut 1-1/2 inch strips, see them in dark/light/dark and then make half as many in the opposite order. Then you iron and cut across the rows into 1-1/2 inch strips. Sew three strips together so they look like the purina logo and you got your 9 patch! They should be 3-1/2 inches square when done.

So I've been plugging along at them as my time and interest allows and as of tonight, I have 72 done. Pretty good! More than half way there!

When I got my first bunch made, I noticed that my squares weren't the right size. They were coming out a bit too small. Out comes the ruler to measure my needle/foot setting and it was set too wide. I thought I had that figured out but the 9 patch didn't agree! So I moved the needle over and now it's much better. Getting these sizes right is important for solid quilt construction later.

The 9 patch. Aren't they pretty? What is your favorite square pattern?

No comments: