Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mystery Project #3 - Slow But Sure

Wins the race. Or at least finishes the race...

When I began Double Delight Mystery Project from Quiltville.com, it was a big job to get past step 1. Making the first set of 120 squares-in-squares was a slow process but the tortoise in me kept plugging away and these were done. Remember them? Yes, they were set aside and I was finally able to get to step 2.



One thing I enjoy to do for added ambiance while sewing and quilting is to listen to oldies radio station, 1160am The Moon Radio, or to fire up a movie in Netflix on my Kindle Fire. The Moon radio station is great! If you have never tuned in, give it a shot sometime. They play songs from the 40's through the 60's mostly. Sometimes they'll play current artists like Diana Krall, but you will typically hear the Andrews Sisters, Dean Martin, big band music, etc. Yesterday afternoon I caught the Fibber McGee and Molly show while I was driving around. They do a jazz show every Sunday at 4:00. And hours of Sinatra tributes. It's a great station! I listen to it on this radio from the 60's. Remember these from Sears back in the day? The amazing Silvertone Transistor 700 portable AM radio.


I would rather listen to the Moon on this baby, but it doesn't get anything except lots of hum and buzz. It's not worth fixing, so I'm told. Still, it's a beautiful radio that sits in my kitchen for the fun of looking at it. The Bulova table top model 350, serial no. 8585. Isn't it gorgeous? They don't make 'em to look like this anymore!


My movie of choice is Shakespeare In Love. I'm not sure exactly why it inspires me. Perhaps it is the old English speech, or the amazing musical score, or the incredible costumes, or a glimpse of what it may have been like to be alive in the 1600's. Maybe it is feeling the creative passion of an ingenious writer at work. I don't know but I also seem to create well with it playing in the background.

So as I checked out part 2 with a sense of excitement, I find it is instructions to make 120 more squares-in-squares. I have to say I lost the wind in my sails. I knew what mountain was ahead of me and was a bit disappointed to have to, basically, start over. But the tortoise in me kept plugging away at the race, eyes on the prize, and now the 2nd set of 120 squares were done tonight. Yay! 

Here's how it went today. After lunch, the sides of squares were sewn. The pins were removed, the sides were ironed open, and the strings were snipped. Then I had to take a little break. I knew what was ahead - trimming. This was going to take a while! So I started Shakespeare In Love from the beginning, I began trimming the 120 squares into 3-1/2" x 3-1/2", one at a time. When the movie was over, this is what I had to show for it.


Yes, they really were done! That big pile of scraps will go in the trash. Unless one of you has a suggestion, I don't think I can use them again. So now onto step 3!  Is there something that helps you stay motivated? What do you do to help you continue to plug away at the process that has you wanting to stop?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A good use for tiny scraps like that is to get an old pillow case and fill it with your unusable scraps, once fill seam up the top and donate it to a local animal shelter or vets office as bedding for dogs and cats.

Sharron Keck said...

Pamelyn, you have found a way to free your mind and do what needs to be done - congrats! and great idea, Christina!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I listen to Pandora a lot while I'm quilting. Some days a quiet mix, other days it sounds like a dance party in my sewing room. I really admire your patience doing all of these blocks! I have a really hard time doing that.

Pamelyn's Postings said...

@Christina - love, love LOVE your suggestion!

@Sharron - freeing the mind is a great thing, isn't it?!!

@Deb - Pandora is a great option. I bet you have patience doing things that I have hard times with. :)