Saturday, September 20, 2008

Garden goods

In May, I got all ambitious and planted, if that is what you want to call it, a garden. I put in peppers, tomatoes, onions, and some herbs in the ground. I figured I would probably be able to make a pot or two of sauce with the pickings. The plants had other plans, though. Nothing grew for me...except the weeds, of course.

Since there wasn't a huge plot of earth to plant stuff in, I gathered together my biggest, deepest containers and planted stuff in them too. In a long one I put lettuce seeds and I did have lettuce grow in it. The seedlings came up like there was no tomorrow but there were way too many of them competing for space so a bunch of them died out and I got enough lettuce for two bowls of dinner salads. *sigh*

A few years ago, I purchased a fica tree for our living room. When I got it home and hundreds of teeny ants started coming out of the huge pot it was planted in, the whole thing went outside. Then the tree died and the pot has been sitting plantfree in the shed. As I was planting, I had a great idea for that pot.

Since the pot was big, round and deep, I put carrot and beet seeds in it. The beets didn't do anything except make big greens, so I pulled them all out. The carrots have been growing! Every time I look at them and see their little orange tops in the dirt, I get so excited. My dad told me that carrots take a long time to grow. Well, the anticipation got the best of me today and I pulled one. Isn't it the cutest thing you ever saw? It smells so good too. I can't quite get myself to cut it yet. It is in the fridge staying cool. After all, I grew it from a little seed and look at it now! I will be patient, and leave the others in place to continue to grow and will pick them when they are more mature.

Although most of my gardening efforts failed, I still have hope for my pot full of carrots. This story kind of reminds me of a parable of Jesus. Know which one?

No comments: