Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shore thoughts


For two summers, I had the opportunity to live by the Jersey shore. For good reasons, I think about being there at this time of the year.

In the summer, the shore is a very busy place, as you can imagine. Scads of people go there to vacation at the ocean. The locals accept this since it is a wondrous treasure that the state can offer. Business is good. It's kinda like the Christmas shopping season for the department stores.

But from Labor day to Memorial day, it is a different story. The streets get back to normal, the lifeguards are gone, the boardwalk is still, except the occasional jogger or lady walking her dog. The beach looks so beautiful, so natural. It's no longer overrun with bikini-clad girls or body-boarding guys. Now you can actually walk quietly on the sand, pick up shells, listen to the never ending sound of the waves and the call of the gulls. It's priceless.

Living at the shore for two summers was a season in my life so long ago, but it deposited a song in me. A song that I can hear as the days grow shorter and the air gets chilled. The song of the sea. I love the ocean!

No comments: