Friday, September 12, 2008

Creativity

I was talking to some ladies the other day. The subject of creativity came up. One of them said she thinks of me when she thinks about being creative, which sort of surprised me. I don't think of myself as that creative, I guess. After all, I know people who are more creative than I am. I shared how my mother taught me many outlets creativity. She is an artist herself and we still share our crafts with each other. (I love you Mom!)

It got me thinking about what it is about making things that I enjoy so much. Is it the process? Not necessarily. There are enough PFO's in my house that I am embarassed to even divulge how many there truly are. And, yes, there are more than the three I shared with you in my post about it in July. Is it the fact that I have time on my hands to do the things I do? No. I know of people with plenty of time on their hands and absolutely no interest in making anything, ever!

Then I started to come up with it. We are created beings. We have been fearfully and wonderfully made. Our Creator made all things out of the darkness and the deep. There was a whole lotta nothing sitting out there. With His vision, and through His words, all things were made! The finished results of His six days of creation had meaning and purpose and beauty. Doesn't that get you excited? It gets me excited!

So when I look at my pattern, my pile of yarn and my knitting implements (needles or machine), I see a whole lot of nothing sitting there as they are on their own. They are useless when left alone. When I start making the knots and putting the individual pieces together, I come up with a finished product that has purpose and meaning and beauty. This same result is true when someone plays music, or bakes a cake, or writes a story, or plants a garden or paints a room. It's awesome! Everyone is creative in some way. It is a reflection of our Father's character. The created one creating.

That being said, here's a project in the works. My honey has asked me to make him a really long blanket. The ones in the stores are too short to tuck over his shoulders and under his feet at the same time. A job like this calls for the knitting machine!











As you can see, I am about half done with it. This blanket is about 9 feet long and is coming out great! It'll be a nice birthday present!

So that's my take on being creative. It is something I will always embrace. Let me encourage you to embrace it as well, creative ones.

No comments: