Tuesday, January 27, 2015

No finger zone!

If you think about it, we do our craft with dangerous equipment. Scorching hot irons, surgically sharp rotary cutters, long sharp pins, machine driven piercing needles.... 

Definitely all no finger zones!

Here's what happened. I was working on my mystery quilt, Dazzle Burst, so I'll be ready to show the next clue on Thursday. I need to finish putting together a pile of these pretty blocks so I was sewing away at them. My machine made a clunk sound at one point but after fixing the top thread, it was stitching up just fine again.

I had these two spools of thread sitting on the bed of my machine. Why? I don't know. They're for the binding strips of my Dancing Butterfly quilt so they were on the machine so I'd find them quick and easy. It made sense to me and they were out of the way.

Suddenly, while I was sewing along, the red spool fell off the back of the bed and made a loud noise when it hit the table..... 
which made me jump..... 
because I thought something happened to the machine again.... 
and my hand had a reaction which brought it towards the needle.... 

Then, I found myself in the bathroom pouring iodine over my snake bite looking puncture wound on my left index finger. The needle barely caught my skin. It didn't make a stitch in me. The needle didn't break in my finger, thankfully. It just bled for about a minute. I don't even know how it happened; it all happened so fast. 

The sewing machine had no problem continuing to sew. I did a few more blocks but then decided it was time to call it a night. 

So remember to keep your space nice and clean to prevent unexpected noises while you sew! And protect your fingers!

No comments: